Monday, June 4, 2007

They have more in common than their looks...



Some of you may remember about a year and a half ago when Toby was starting to talk, he began dropping the F-bomb. After days and days and some rather embarrassing moments with my 18 month old, we realized that he had learned the word "frog" while staying at Grammy's house while I was away. But for all those unaware of the translation, it surely was the f word, loud and clear. As funny as it may have been then when he was barely speaking, it is not so funny now as a very verbal 3 year old. Yes, folks, he's back at it again. He does not know that it is actually a word, let alone a BAD word. He thinks he made it up. He likes to make up silly words and has for a long time. For a while it was doonka. He would call us it all the time. "Okay dunka!" or "Dunka hanna dunka." Don't ask me why. Anyway, a couple weeks ago he decided he liked words that start with "F." Out of nowhere one day he says it while playing. I twitched, but then remembering how unsuccessful we've been with trying to get him not to say "poop" or "pee" all the time, I dared not tell him that that word was naughty, in fear of him saying it for more attention. I thought it may have been a one time deal, but oh no, he liked the sound of the F-word and now uses it with all kinds of endings and in all sorts of settings. Here are a few:

1) We point out a rolly-polly (or potato bug as you might call it) and he says to me, "I call that a big f***er."

2) He's chasing after his friend while I'm at the fabric store, "Hey f**er, come back! Come back f**y"

and my personal favorite...

3) After church we were walking out the doors and the Elders were walking in, they open the door and Toby greets them with "Hi F**er." I had to gasp out loud at that and then tried to explain to those poor missionaries that he doesn't know that's a word. Awesome.

So as of now we don't know what to do. I'm so afraid that he will say it even more if we tell him it's naughty. How do you explain to a 3 year old just how terrible a word can be. They don't get it. If anyone has been through this or has any suggestions, please help!

14 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry. No advice on that one. Just don't let him say it when Maddie is around.....

Kelli Salter said...

As horrible a problem it might be for you, your story was very entertaining. You can send him to Budapest, no one here will know what he is saying.

Good Luck,

Kel

adamdickson said...

Ash,

If you'll pay for the shipping I will send you up my dog training collar. You can set it to stun. There are higher settings you can use at church, around missionaries, Bishops, church ladies or the like. It might take a few zaps, but he's a smart kid he'll catch on. Always here to help. Adam

Burnett Family said...

Ash, That is so funny. Carson makes up those words too. He just doesn't end it with the "er" he says F***a. Good luck with it.

Kristen & Spence said...

Oh my gosh, the missionary one was the best. THE BEST!! I wish I had good advice but I don't have kids yet so I don't really know what to do. But when I was a nanny, one of my kids did this (his word was sh-- for awhile), and I just taught him a new made up word, and made a big deal out of it (I can't remember what I made up). He forgot about his own word and kept using my weird one (but I couldn't get his dad to stop saying it).

Ann said...

Ashley-just found your blog through Edwards' and this post has me laughing out loud! I'm so sorry, but it's so funny! I"ll have to sit closer at church to see if I can hear his choice words!! I can understand the frustration, but it's pretty amusing when your distant from the situation. Good luck!!
Ann Burningham

Autumn and Barrett said...

It's so funny and also painful. Henry's big word is "gogs", which is annoying but at least is nonsense. We get a lot of "geek" and "gook" too. Also "crap." He thinks he made all these words up. Sadly I haven't figured out how to break him of it. The ignoring it approach hasn't worked for us either. I'll let you know if we make any progress...

Missy said...

I'm dying Ashley! These are the funniest (I do know it's not a real word) saying ever. I'm of no help as I haven't reached that point, but I'm still laughing.

Casey said...

The worst I have ever had with this kind of situation was the word 'shut-up'. Once while talking with a girlfriend I said 'Oh shut-up! That isn't true!' Saying it very playfully. About 1/2 hour later I went to the store with Mackenzie, about 2 years old. Everytime she heard someone talking around her she would yell 'Shut-up'! I was mortified. It was the only time it happened as she forgot the word as soon as we left the store, and I NEVER used it again. Although I do know how you feel, I have no good advise for you. Sorry Ash...you could call Dr. Phil. =)

Ann said...

Bottom line Ashley...you have to stop throwing that word around so carelessly...little Toby is so impressionable. Try using "fudge" instead!

jane maynard said...

nate and I are dying. so funny.

Nathan said...

Classic. You know, he has been spending more time at Grammy and Papa's lately. Those empty-nesters don't hold back once the kids leave.

Ming said...

I love this story! I know how you can get the Tobster to stop saying the F word...try not taking him to your soccer games anymore! :) It was so fun to see you guys in the city last weekend. We will need to come to Boston now soon. Oh, and how was the play? So good? Or so lame?

Lillie said...

This post-- I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Wow.